Dealing with a sore throat can be really annoying and painful, but don’t let a sore throat ruin your day! Most sore throats, also known as pharyngitis, are caused by minor illness like a cold or flu and will go away with time, but you can speed up their healing and ease the pain. Even if it’s tempting to run to the doctor, you should try some home remedies first.
First of all, let’s see what causes a sore throat
Sore throat refers to pain, itchiness or irritation of the throat. You may face difficulties when swallowing food and liquids. Actually the pain will get worse when you’ll try to swallow anything. Most sore throats are caused by viral or bacterial infections.
Anyone will deal with a sore throat at some point in their life. Actually, the symptoms mentioned above are pretty familiar for me. I remember being a sick child, so dealing with a sore throat was very common. Back in the 80’s you couldn’t find all sort of syrups or medicine to treat a cold or flu. So, mom often used to treat common cold symptoms using all sort of funny remedies.
For instance, to treat a sore throat she often relied on raw potatoes, rubbing alcohol, and on the most disgusting tea a kid could drink: onion tea. However, onion tea has the power to soothe a sore throat after the first drink.
How to soothe a sore throat externally
- 1 raw potato
- rubbing alcohol
- old scarf
How to prepare:
- Wash and peel the potato.
- Grate it through a grater.
- Take the grated potato and place it in the middle of the scarf.
- Sprinkle rubbing alcohol over the potato.
- Now, take the scarf and place it on the throat. Handle it with care not to scatter the grated potato on the floor.
- Let it act for half an hour or until the potatoes turn black.
How to soothe sore throat internally
- 1 red onion
- 300 ml of water
How to prepare:
- Take the onion and cut it in two or four.
- Boil it in water until it softens.
- The tea is ready, but you have to let it cool for a few minutes.
- To make the tea more powerful, add some nutshells when you add the onion.
- You can add 2 teaspoons of honey for taste.