Cold sores can be a bit painful sometimes, besides that they are unsightly to look at. Hence, the next move you would want to take is to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Actually, most cold sores go away in two or four weeks, but this is a long and painful road. In order to shorten this painful period, relieve their symptoms and reduce the changes of reappearance, I would love to share with you some natural tricks.
Before that, let’s see what are cold sores and why are they so painful?
Cold sores are also known as fever blisters. They are tiny, fluid-filled blisters and usually occur in patches on or around your lips. Once these blisters burst, a crust forms over them. You can blame it on the herpes simplex virus, but as soon as a cold sore start to appear, you should immediate take action to treat it.
Now, let’s see some wonderful home remedies which will help you to get rid of a cold sore quickly!
1. Tea Tree Oil
- Dab some tea tree oil on a cotton swab and apply it directly to the sore.
- Repeat this several times during the day and before you go to sleep.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apply ACV on the cold sore with the cotton swab. Leave it on until it dries.
- You may repeat this thrice a day.
- Take the garlic clove, crush it, and apply it directly to the lesion.
- You can also consume raw garlic on an empty stomach, early in the morning, for best results.
- Apply this twice or thrice a day.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
- Take a little aloe vera gel on a cotton swab. Apply it gently to the sores. Leave it on until it dries.
- Do this 2-3 times daily.
5. Ice Cube
- Hold the ice cube on the cold sore to reduce the swelling and itching. Avoid scratching it.
- Repeat this several times in a day.
Besides these natural cures, you can prepare your own Lip Balm for Cold Sores:
- 7 g of cocoa butter
- 4 g of shea butter
- 7 g of beeswax
- 2 g of argan oil
- 1 ml of neem oil
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of vitamin E oil
- 3 drops of rosemary extract
Melt the beeswax, cocoa butter and shea butter in a double boiler or in a glass Pyrex measuring cup. Then add the argan oil and neem oil and stir into the melted oils, butter and wax. Now add the tea tree oil, lavender and peppermint essential oils along with the vitamin E and rosemary extract. Stir the ingredients well and pour the balm into small tins or empty lip balm containers.
How To Use:
Simply apply to affected area several times per day until affected area clears up completely.