What is strep throat? Well, it’s a bacterial infection that mainly affects children and teenagers, but in certain cases it will also affect adults.
Strep throat can be easily confused with sore throat due to their similar symptoms, only that a strep throat is contagious. A simple sneeze or cough can spread the infection from one person to another.
Honestly, I’ve been dealing with a strep throat since childhood. Every 4-5 years, when my immunity gets down, especially in spring and fall, my throat starts to be painful with difficulties while swallowing, and pus pockets suddenly start to appear along with high fever. When this group A Streptococcus bacteria starts to take control over your body, antibiotics are required immediately.
Mom told me that I was once delusional during an episode of strep throat infection, because of high fever, but she managed somehow to keep it under control. Actually, she successfully made me feel better in a few days only with natural remedies, although the infection was lingering in my body.
But keep in mind that strep throat is caused by a bacterial infection, so it can cause complications such as rheumatic fever if it’s not treated with antibiotics. Natural remedies will only help you to keep the disease under control!
First, she told me to gargle with Salt Water…
Mix in one cup of warm water 1/2 tablespoon of salt and gargle with this solution throughout the day.
…followed by another gargling method: Apple Cider Vinegar!
Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution right after you’ve gargled with salty water. Tip: if you don’t like the stingy taste of vinegar you can add a teaspoon of honey.
Hydration was done with Chamomile Tea…
- Add a teaspoon of dried chamomile to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey to this concoction.
- Drink the chamomile tea before it turns cold.
…and some gross, but tremendous effective Onion Peels Tea:
- Put 2 cups of water to boil.
- When the water starts simmering, add the peels of two red onions.
- Let it boil for 4-5 minutes then strain the liquid.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of honey when the tea reaches room temperature. Drink while is still warm.
But the natural antibiotics did most of the healing:
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of warm milk. Mix it well and drink it before bedtime.
- Add 1-2 chopped garlic cloves in a cup of warm milk. Let it infuse for 5 minutes then drink the cup while is still warm.
- Eat as much garlic as you can! You can chop a few garlic cloves and eat them raw.
Remember! As soon as you start feeling better, you should see a doctor. Strep throat won’t heal without antibiotics.