I started the flu season this year with a bad sore throat! Every tea sip felt like I was swallowing millions of needles and pins. So, to alleviate the symptoms of this awful sore throat, I ran to the pharmacy to purchase some over-the-counter syrup which was effective only when I was taking it. After half an hour the needles and pins were back! Hence, I decided to check my grandma’s “book of natural remedies” for some helpful solution regarding my condition.
What is sore throat and why it hurts so badly?
When you have a sore throat, it’s your body’s immune response to viral or bacterial infections. Sore throats can be quite uncomfortable, especially when you swallow. The mucous membranes in your throat are inflamed and swollen.
Of course, the most important thing you can do is drink fluids and stay well hydrated! Keep your throat’s mucous membranes moist so it can heal.
Grandma’s book of natural remedies for sore throat said that gargling with salt water will make you feel better…and it did!
- Combine 1 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of salt and stir to dissolve. Gargle with a mouthful of this mixture for 30 seconds, once per hour.
Alongside with salt water gargling, I also tried sipping Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey…
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey or sweetener in a cup of warm water.
…and drink plenty of Ginger Tea!
- Boil 4 cups of water in a saucepan. Turn off heat, add 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root, and cover for 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey (or sweetener) and a squeeze of lemon juice. Drink warm or cool. Reheat if desired.
However, the most effective sore throat natural medicine is Horseradish combined with Honey!
- 1 tablespoon of grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
How to prepare:
Warm a glass of water and add the above ingredients. Stir well and drink the entire sore throat medicine before bedtime. The next morning you will feel much better.
Keep in mind! It well-known that the most commonly prescribed home remedy for sore throat is Chicken Soup. Since you need to stay hydrated and eat something throughout the day, Chicken Soup is the best bandage for sore throat.