Phlegm is a thick, sticky stuff that hangs around in the back of your throat when you’re sick. The main role of phlegm is to lubricate the airways and protect them from attacking external factors. But when the body produces too much phlegm the body tries to eliminate it through coughing.
Fortunately, there are many natural remedies that reduce phlegm production and prevent it from affecting your health. One of these natural remedies is the following homemade syrup made from carrots and honey.
Natural syrups are used for centuries as an alternative for treating the symptoms of influenza, colds and other respiratory problems. These recipes contain ingredients with anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties that fight throat infections, phlegm excess and airway obstruction.
Honey and carrot syrup is one of the most effective and healthy options. Besides that it alleviates coughing, it strengthens the immune system, treating the problem from its roots. Preparing this natural syrup doesn’t require much time and it is based only on two ingredients that are available in markets and in the local grocery stores throughout the year.
- 400 g of carrots (preferably organic)
- 5 tablespoons of organic honey
Method of preparation:
1. Wash the carrots well, cut them into small pieces and put them to boil in a saucepan.
2. Let them boil until they soften.
3. Take the saucepan off the fire and mash them using a fork.
4. Put the carrot puree in a glass bowl and mix it with five tablespoons of honey.
5. Finally, cover the container and let the ingredients to incorporate their properties for 24 hours before consuming it.
How to use:
1. Take 4 or 5 tablespoons of syrup daily to reduce phlegm production.
2. For prevention, take 1 tablespoon daily between the meals.
3. In case if the syrup is too sweet, you can mix it with half a cup of warm water.