It happens quite often to burn yourself while cooking, baking or ironing. But have you got any idea in offering first aid when dealing with minor burns? Well, it’s very important in knowing how to act when in case you’ve burnt yourself accidentally. As a matter of fact, you don’t even need a first aid kit. Some mundane products from your kitchen will do the job perfectly in case you’ve burnt your hand with hot sauce.
So, let’s see how we apply first aid for first degree burns, also known as minor burns.
- Keep the affected area under very cold water, 5-10 minutes.
- Disinfect the area and apply a special cream or spray against burns.
- Bandage with a clean gauze.
Home remedies for first degree burns
Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory properties that accelerate the healing process of wounds and burns. You can extract the gel from the aloe vera leaf and apply it directly onto the wound.
Honey is a universal remedy in treating various affections due to its antibacterial, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, being the ideal remedy for a mild burn. Apply it directly to the wound and repeat the procedure several times a day.
Marigolds oil is an excellent antiseptic and analgesic, helping to heal any skin conditions faster. You can use marigolds for minor burn in any form: cream, gel, oil, lotion – choose the one that suits you best.
This is the best healing remedy for minor burns. Instead of keeping your burnt hand in cold water, you can apply tomato juice or paste directly on the burn. Tomato has healing properties and it will make that burning sensation disappear.
However, one of the best natural treatments for minor burns is my grandma’s Minor Burn Salve which you can prepare it and store it in the fridge or in a dark place.
- 1/4 cup raw honey, preferably Manuka honey
- 1/4 cup of unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of beeswax
- 1 tablespoon Sea Buckthorn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, aloe vera juice, or rosewater
1. In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan or double boiler, heat the beeswax over the lowest heat possible.
2. When the beeswax is nearly melted, add in the coconut oil and melt completely.
3. Stir in the honey and Sea Buckthorn oil, if using, and whisk over the heat only until the whole mixture is one uniform liquid, about 30 seconds.
4. Remove from the heat and either pour directly into tins or other containers OR stir in the aloe or rosewater briskly until the mixture is completely homogenous, then pour into your containers.
5. Let sit until comfortable to touch before using. The mixture will fully harden in approximately 6-12 hours.